COVID-19 Dashboard & Safety Plan
On July 12, 2021 (and updated on August 2, 2021), the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) issued COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for K-12 Schools in California, 2021-2022 School Year. The foundational principle of the guidance is that all students have access to safe and full in-person instruction at the outset of the school year, with several items under strong emphasis, consistent with Centers for Disease Control (CDC) K-12 School Guidance:
- Vaccinations for all eligible individuals to get COVID-19 rates down throughout the community
- Universal masking in schools (indoors) to enable no minimum physical distancing
- More targeted quarantine practices to keep students in school
- Access to COVID-19 testing as an available additional safety layer.
SJUSD will open the 2021-2022 school year for students on Thursday, August 5, 2021, under the established start/end times as posted on each school’s regular bell schedule. A summary of the current COVID-19 safety protocols, from our posted plans for the new year, includes:
- All staff and students are required to wear face masks (or face shields with neck drape) when indoors and students are present, regardless of vaccination status
- Staff and students will not be required to wear face masks outdoors
- There are no physical distancing requirements or requirements for desk barriers
- Staff and students will be expected to wash their hands regularly, and hand sanitizer will be available
- Students or staff that present COVID-19 symptoms while at school will be sent home; Contact Tracers will assist with return-to-school timing to minimize missing school
- COVID-19 testing will be available to student families and staff.
For SJUSD as a workplace, employees are subject to the Cal/OSHA COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standards (ETS). Employees have additional applicable requirements, found in the SJUSD Injury and Illness Prevention Program COVID-19 Protection Plan.