Students from any SJUSD school were eligible to submit a creative breakfast or lunch recipe to their school office for a chance to have it offered on the 2019-2020 school menu. The recipe had to be within the Nutritional Guidelines for school meals, which includes grains and proteins. The recipe authors helped serve guests and were given a tour of the production facility.
Four students from different schools each submitted a recipe for Chilaquiles [pronounced chē-lä-ˈkē-lās], a Mexican dish of fried corn tortilla pieces simmered with salsa or mole and typically topped with cheese and other accompaniments (such as sliced onions, shredded chicken, and fried or scrambled eggs).
"We loved the idea of serving Chilaquiles, so to honor each of the students with this idea, we took their initials and named the recipe 'JACS Chilaquiles' to show on our menu boards," said Nutrition Services Director Tammy White. The students that represent 'JACS' are Jayleen Contreras (DeAnza), Aznill Jimenez Murillo (Park Hill), Christofer Aguilar Rodriquez (NMMS), and Samantha Gomez (Megan Cope).
The other winning recipes were:
- Samantha's Breakfast Burrito (Samantha Maddalena, DeAnza)
- Peachy Lea's Famous Oats (Malia Wolfert, Megan Cope)
- Corny Cornbread (Riley Panek, DeAnza)
- Memphis Pasta (Memphis Ros, Estudillo)
- Ayleen's Turkey Wrap (Ayleen Lucio, DeAnza)
- Shepherd's Pie (Jaidyn and Braidyn Thomas, Record)
- Southern Pasta (Rayden Gonzalez, Park Hill)
- Trevor's Elote (Trevor Benoit, Park Hill)